Lactation Help for Moms and Babies
Breastfeeding is healthy for you and your baby, so we want to make it as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Sanford Women’s Lactation Services provides support for mothers who are breastfeeding.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
There are many benefits to breastfeeding:
- Breastmilk provides the right balance of nutrition for your baby
- Breastmilk is easier than formula for your baby to digest
- Breastfeeding boosts your child’s immune system
- Breastfeeding can help you lose weight after giving birth
- Breastfeeding is a great way to bond with your new baby
Getting Breastfeeding Help
Our certified lactation consultants provide breastfeeding help whether you’re a new mom or experienced at breastfeeding. We can answer questions, help you find good breastfeeding positions and solve other challenges.
Speak to a lactation consultant or postpartum nurse. Call our lactation support hotline:
- In Sioux Falls, call (605) 328-7120. Hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- In Fargo, call (701) 417-3838.
- In Bismarck, call (701) 323-2547.
- In Bemidji, call (218) 333-5755.
Don’t wait until discouragement sets in. A lactation consultant can help you get started breastfeeding and work with you down the line if you encounter other challenges.
Talk to a lactation consultant or your doctor immediately if:
- Your baby isn’t latching properly.
- Your nipples are so sore you are delaying breastfeeding or crying while breastfeeding.
- You are thinking about using breast aid products such as hydrogel pads for nipple soreness or a nipple shield to cover the breast nipple while breastfeeding. Some of these products are not recommended in certain situations.
A little bit of help can make the difference between giving up in discouragement or successfully breastfeeding for as long as you want. We also offer breastfeeding classes and support groups.
Sanford Health News
Patients can get urogynecology help with therapy, classes and new habits
Find out which preventive screenings are the best for you.
Classes & Events
Thu 05/23/19 8:30 AM - Thu 05/23/19 2:30 PM
Sanford Stevens Center
Thu 05/23/19 8:00 AM - Thu 05/23/19 12:00 PM
Sanford Worthington Medical Center